This workshop provides an excellent overview of the potential challenges of managing performance and how to overcome these, as well as looking at the wealth of benefits that effective performance management can bring, not just for individuals but for the whole organisation. The workshop looks at what formal structures and processes might need to be in place to achieve effective performance management, as well as looking at some of the day-to-day practices that can help to drive up performance and ensure that everyone has the opportunity to develop and achieve their potential.
How to manage under-performance is one of the most common topics that our clients ask us about. With early intervention problems can often be dealt with quickly, smoothly and effectively. But it’s when things are left to fester that they build into major issues and become much more difficult and time-consuming to tackle.
Duration of course:
1 day face to face, or
2 half day online sessions
Style of delivery
The workshop is very interactive, and uses a wide variety of exercises to explain, demonstrate and put into practice the learning. It is ideal for anyone who is new to managing staff, or who has been managing staff for a while, but without any formal training. The workshop looks at some real-life scenarios and participants have plenty of opportunity to discuss their own experiences and challenges, and to consider what action they will take once they are back in the workplace.
- Consider what performance management is, why it is important, and why and how it can go wrong
- Look at the value of formal and informal performance assessment
- Understand the role of the line manager and of the team member in managing performance
- Consider the value of objectives and standards, how to set these so that they are meaningful and effective, and how to measure progress
- Look at the importance of feedback, and consider how to give feedback to a team member – both positive and negative
- Look at what can lead to underperformance and consider strategies for dealing with poor performance.